Stay Warm During the Winter
- Set your thermostat at 68 degrees. Each degree higher uses 3% more energy.
- Lower your thermostat when you leave home. You’ll use much less energy to heat the house while you are away.
- Let the sun shine in. Open curtains and shades on eastern and southern windows during the day to let in more heat, then close them in the evening.
- Add insulation to water heaters and hot water pipes to save energy and money. This is inexpensive and easy.
- Caulk and weatherstrip windows and doors. This simple and inexpensive improvement prevents drafts.